New to Yoga
These guidelines are meant to help enhance your yoga experience and keep the center a sacred space for all. Namaste.
- If you are a first time student, please arrive 15 minutes before your first class to fill out a registration form and get acquainted with the studio.
- First time ever taking a yoga class? We recommend starting with the intro class. Don’t base your opinion about yoga on your first class. Or second. Or even third. It may take time to love yoga!
- Arrive 10-15 minutes before class to sign in. If you do arrive late, take a breath and quietly enter the studio.
- Tell your teacher about injuries or limitations that might affect your practice.
- Turn off cell phones/pagers before entering the lobby. Please keep all phone conversations outside.
- Bring a yoga mat, a towel and water. We do have clean mats available, however, it is ultimately more hygienic to use your own. Yoga props such a blocks and straps will be provided. We do rent towels for $1 which is a donation to the Africa Yoga Project.
- We recommend that you do not eat 2-3 hours before practice. If you hydrate all day, you should not need much water during class.
- Wear comfortable clothing that allows the body to move. Baggy clothes or sweat pants are not recommended. You will sweat – tank tops and shorts or yoga pants are the best. Our classes are taught in a heated room to further help cleanse the body and warm the muscles.
- Avoid leaving class early. If you must, do so quietly before savasana or final resting pose without disturbing others. Avoid strong perfumes and scented lotions.
- Let go of the competitive mind-set. Yoga is not just a workout or stretch class. While this practice will reshape your body and promote greater health and well-being, yoga is ultimately a tool for spiritual evolution to open our hearts and broaden our minds.
- Start where you are. Respect and listen to your body. Be willing to accept where you are, how you are today. It is perfect!